Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Bless the Broken Road.

Thank you to Rascal Flatts for inspiring this next blog post.

Jaymeson and I had the opportunity to go to a Rascal Flatts concert this weekend with some of our friends. (They were amazing, but that's besides the point.) We had a good time, we laughed, we sang, Brandon almost got beat up, and I won a huge beach ball from the radio station. :)


But I think the most important thing I (re)learned this weekend, was that everything happens for a reason.

While Rascal Flatts was singing their famous song "Bless the Broken Road", Brandon snapped this picture of us:

(Its obviously been photoshopped cuz I'm cheesy, ok?)

When I saw this picture, and heard the song, all I could think about was God really did bless my road. I've been hurt. Seriously hurt. By many men, family members, friends, lots of people. But everywhere I've been is exactly where I should have been. And everywhere I'm going has everything to do with the road God blessed me with. Looking back on all the pain, I wouldn't change it for the world.

I used to always tell myself and everyone else that Jon was an answer to my prayers. He magically appeared into my life right after I ended a very long and hurtful relationship. He swooped in and swept me off my feet, and because of him, I easily healed and moved on from that relationship when it otherwise could have been a very long and hard process. When I first got divorced, I spent a lot of time angry at that thought. How and why would God put Jonathan into my life to help me heal from my previous, devasting relationship and then turn around and hurt me worse?

Two reasons:

1. I did need Jonathan to help me heal from that relationship. But also, I believe the heartbreak of that previous relationship helped to prepare me for the hurt that would come from my marriage. Jon helped me heal from that relationship, and in turn he helped me to know how to heal from our relationship.

2. Jonathan led me to Jaymeson. Weird, right? Jaymeson and I know each other through a very twisted, complicated string of people. But without my marriage to Jon, I would never have known Jaymeson. And my broken road, has thus far, lead me to him.

I learned a lot down this long and crooked journey (Whoops, popped into Bachelor mode for a second. When does the next season start anyways?) that I've been on. I learned to love unconditionally, I learned to allow myself to cry (well, almost), I learned to be honest with myself, I learned to trust, I learned to be independent, I learned to give myself completely, and so many other qualities I hope to continue in all of my relationships. But most of all, I learned that God is with me the whole way.

I don't know where Jaymeson and I will go, but I do know that because of him I am a better person. And because of me, he is a better person. We fight and argue and bicker just like every other real relationship, but we also laugh and cry and dance and love together. We teach each other, we help each other, we have learned so much about ourselves and each other and relationships that if we do not end up together, we will be one hundred times more prepared for our "soul mate" (if you believe in those) than we would have been otherwise. We each are in the place that we need to be, and for what ever reason, we need each other now. And I'm grateful that my very broken road led me straight to him.

:)

"It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true."

3 comments:

  1. I seriously adore and admire you. You are amazing. And ps...Bachelor starts in January.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry (not that that is hard to do,as you know because I cry everytime I see you...sorry) I am so grateful for you Heather. You are such a blessing and inspiration to me. Its so weird how you have helped me heal from the brokenness that was left over from My and Jaymeson's relationship.

    You are one of the most beautiful people I know. When I saw this picture on FB I was so grateful. I pray for you and Jaymeson every night. Although we don't spend too much time together, you are two of the most important people in my life.

    Thank you for loving me and listening to me so many nights of crying and processing.

    Its strange and beautiful to me, how my broken road and yours have intertwined in such a unique way. You have been an answer to my prayers countless times.

    If this song was written for anyone it would be for you and Jaymeson. I love you both so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU AND I NEED TO TALK. SERIOUSLY!! Love you girly! This is such a great blog! Keep your head up and I can tell you from taking that SAME BROKEN ROAD that everything does happen for a reason and Heavenly Father absolutely has a plan for each of us! A plan far better then we ever imagined! Oh we need a girls night!

    ReplyDelete